Friday 24 July 2009

The Nerve Agents

I did this interview over email with Eric Ozenne in 2003... and it's been stagnating on my hard drive ever since. I intended to some how release it through a zine but I never actually got round to doing it so here it is.
J

Hi there Eric... could you just introduce yourself, tell us about your band history and what your up to right now...
Hi I am Eric, I am a metal pig. My demise was Unit Pride, Redemption 87, and the Nerve Agents. Hopefully I can rebuild my life with this new band that I am in "Wanda Clued In" its more of a Dave Matthews thing and I am really hoping that fans of the Nerve Agents can mature a little and really dig this groove. O.k. I'm lying. I have a new band with Zac from NA, Gary from R-87, and the young wonderlust Trevor from his most recent band Scattered Fall. You will be truly disappointed.

Could you tell me about your new project that you have going right now with the Unit Pride guitarist?
That would be "Dead March" and as it seems, it may never see the light of day. We shall see. It is a very simple hardcore band, not original or really exciting just plain old fashioned hardcore. Songs are recorded, but no lyrics are done...and there it rots like the caught and released by a 5-year-old child blue gill that it is.

After about four years in The Nerve Agents how did it all come to an end?
By a phone call.

Do you have any regrets about it finishing? You were finally getting some recognition you deserved when everything just seemed to end so quickly...
I miss the guys in the band, but I imagine they don't miss me. Those who came out and knew about us for the entire four years we were successful always recognized us. If you are talking about media attention, then I am really glad that the band was never ruined by that. That was really the next level. Bigger clubs, bigger attention, more expectations, more barriers, more business. I really don't know many people that are better off for that added attraction to their bands. If anything? things get worse. Sure money and attention are bigger, but if you become ruined by it then is it worth it? The Nerve Agents in a bigger capacity would be out of their element...we already were doing two shows a day at the end just so everyone could get in to see us locally. We weren't ruined, it really was the perfect amount of time, so as to preserve what was great about NA.

Theoretically, if The Nerve Agents were still together what kind of musical progression do you feel would have happened and what affect would that have had on the next album?
We were really going to go out on a limb by the next record. Everyone was really confined to stay within our realm for The Butterfly Collection. Dante and I discussed a creative leap on the next record. We came close to doing that record. It was being discussed.

Did the Nerve Agents have any B-sides or do any covers that were never recorded? Track names?
Nothing.

Your strong relationship with AFI is well documented as both Davey and Jade have each done guest vocals Nerve Agents' albums. Do you still keep in contact with them?
I just talked to Dave two days ago. I last talked to Jade at BFD in June. They are out touring a lot so not that much, but I keep in contact with them while they are out there on tour. Once in a while I'll call.

How did the appearance on the Transplant's CD come about? Weren't you meant to be apart of that band in the beginning?
I did that song as a guest when the Transplants were just Rob and Tim. There is a 4 song homemade CD running around with a better version of that song right after we did it. Tim asked me to join the band at the Warfield in like December 2000 at a Rancid show. I said yes. Rob and I hooked up to write lyrics, but eventually Hellcat budget constraints kept me from flying back and forth to L. A. on their dime...so out I went. It is a good thing since my idea of what I wanted to do with the music was far different than theirs. They have their vision of the band working great. Plus I would just run Rob over all the time if I was playing live with them.

Is there any news of Nerve Agents performances on videos or DVDs being released through like... Hellcat/Epitaph or somebody?
Supposedly our footage of like two or three songs on the Hellcat Movie is going to be out this year. I know of nothing else.

Bought any good CD's recently? Anything that your looking forward to hearing...?
I'm looking forward to the new Morrissey in 2004. I just bought Roxy Music "Country Life" wonderful.

When will your band with Andy Carter and Kelly Dangerously (of Thought Riot) finally take place?
It won't.

When are you going to find a really expensive and good brace that will help your knee out that way you can play with the Nerve Agents again?
Never.

And finally... any shout outs or CD's you want to advertise?
The new Frisk album is really good...but not out yet.
Listen to The Thrills. They are excellent.

Thanks a lot Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment