Friday 24 July 2009

The Nerve Agents (Part II)

So here's another old interview with Dante Sigona of The Nerve Agents from 2003/2004. Dante pretty much revolutionized the band when he joined and the progression was evident on Days Of The White Owl and finally The Butterfly Collection.
J

Hi Dante... could you just introduce yourself, tell me about your band history?
Ya, Name is Dante, I played bass for the Nerve Agents. My band history is short and sweet- I played drums for band called Satanic Youth years before I joined the Nerve Agents. While I was in the Nerve Agents I started a band called the Angel Parade with a few good friends of mine. The Angel Parade was allot of fun but, it didn't last very long. Now, one of the members of the Angel Parade sings for a band called the Black Dove Cortett - I mention it because they are definitely worth checking out. If you get a chance see 'em-They have been playing in LA and SF.

How did you end up joining The Nerve Agents?
Well, Once upon a time in the Bay Area Hardcore/punk scene, I met Andy and Tim through a friend of mine who was in a band with them-called Model American. This was around 95 or so. I ended up going to allot of their shows and became really good friends with Andy. Eventually, the Nerve Agents formed and Andy called me and asked me to join. I told him I didn't play bass and Andy said something to the effect of "Fuck it, Who cares, Just get a hold of a bass and play with us. I thought "he's right, Fuck it."

What you have been up to since The Nerve Agents split up? There have been a lot of rumours going around about you going to art college, forming new bands, etc but there's been no watertight news on anything you've been doing recently...
Ya, Ive been going to school. Right now, I am focusing 90% of my time on school. You see, it is really difficult to make a living playing music. That is why I decided to go to School. Although, if playing in a band was a sure shot at making tons of money, I would, in most cases, certainly do it. How is that for selling out? The fact of the matter is: One of my ultimate goal's is financial security-to buy my own land so I don't have to piss my money away on a Landlord. As John Lee Hooker said: "Money don't get everything, it's true. But, what it can't buy I can't use." So, I go to school-Get a degree-then make a decent living. As far as music goes, I've been doing some solo stuff and some projects with a few friends. It's nothing to serious yet.

What is your version of events surrounding the split of The Nerve Agents?
Oh boy, Let me just say: Musically, Physically, Financially and emotionally the shit was hitting the fan.

Do you feel that The Nerve Agents reached its creative peak before the split?
No, this is the tricky part, There was so much potential that could have been transformed into an amazing work. We just couldn't coordinate our ideas correctly to form our vision. A few of the songs on the Butterfly Collection have a few elements of this vision. But, I feel that never, did the songs on that album turn into what they were intended to become. Actually, this might sound harsh but, It's allot like a Mother's feelings toward her still born baby: After it's born she can only imagine what it's personality would have been like.

Before the band signed to Hellcat, what other labels were interested in the band, and why did you choose Hellcat over any other potential label...
Nitro was interested in us as well as Revelation. The benefits of joining Hellcat weighed the other labels so we went with them. I remember the whole band being confused about what label to join. Then, one night we got a chance to play at the Filmore and Tim Armstrong came to see us. He said he wanted us on Hellcat-that made it easy for us. Hellcat treated us great.

What kind of musical progression do you feel would have occurred on a follow up to The Butterfly Collection?
I think it would have sounded like a cross between Days of the White Owl and Butterfly collection with many new elements. I think there would have been allot of attention on the details in each song. This definitely sounds crazy but, Ideally, I always wanted to incorporate cello and violin. I think that classical music can be so powerful. The are so many strong emotions that surface while listening to classical music. Now, think how amazing a punk song could be with those elements incorporated.

Got any funny tour stories?
Tons, OK, lets see Alright, During one of our US tours we stopped in Wyoming to buy fireworks. We ended up getting tons. Everyone in the band had their own little arsenal of rockets and, well...just an assortment of things that exploded. From then on the rest of the tour was just a fucking war zone. Every time the van stopped fire would be shooting in every direction. Not to mention that most of us decided to become alcoholic's that tour, so that made it even more interesting. It was like a bunch of screaming monkeys playing with fire. The cops must have been called on us 15 times. We even have a few on film questioning us. It was great. We'd wait for a band member to get out of the van to take a piss. Then we'd all sneak up behind and team up. The band member would then be simultaneously be shot at by the group. The poor bastard running through a corn field with his pants around his ankles trying to avoid get hit...It was great fun until it was your turn.

Then there was the more specific incident of my encounter with Jello Biafra. I think I was about 18 and I was so exited to be playing a show in LA with TSOL. Back stage was TSOL, Jello Biafra and a bunch of other people in popular bands. I was also exited that Jello Biafra was their because I loved the Dead Kennedys. I totally looked up to them. This was right around the time when Jello was going through that law suit with the rest of his band mates. It was a touchy subject. Anyway, Andy walked over to Jello and handed him one of our records. Jello thanked him graciously and said "Great, I collect Vinyl." I proudly shouted out and added "I think you'll like it-there's a Dead Kennedy's influence on there"...Suddenly, Jello's face dropped and the whole room became silent. Everyone, peered at me in shock-then disgust. My eyes opened wide and I realized what I had said. In the awkward silence, I tried to think of something to say. But nothing came except, "...I...I..um..." Complete humiliation. I had successfully made some of my all time favourite musicians cringe in disgust at my utter cluelessness. Later that night our group laughed about it. It was deemed "The worst possible thing I could have said."


What happened between you and Eric? There have been various rumours going round about arguments and feuds and stuff...
Yikes, Damn this question...All I can say about that is that I have no hard feelings against Eric. Eric is a smart guy and hope the best for him.

What do you think of Nerve Agents tattoos? Quite a few people are beginning to get them...
I love them-I love seeing new ones.

How long have you been playing bass for? Ever taken lessons?
I started for The Nerve Agents. So, ever since then. And, no, I never took lessons.

What bass equipment do you use?
I have an Ampeq half stack and head. My bass is a Fender precision Lite-ugly as hell but I love the way it sounds. For playing live in the Nerve Agents I used a cheep 120$ Dean-just in case it broke on stage. For 120$ it doesn't sound to bad.

Do you play any other instruments?
Ya, I play drums, Guitar, piano, I sing, and I play Harmonica. Hey Hey! Don't knock the harmonica-that thing's fucken awesome

How did you get involved in paying bass for The Distillers? How come you left them after a short period of time?
Eh...I don't want to get into it. Their new album is pretty good though.

What have you been listening to recently?
Leonard Cohen
The new Morrissey-Minus the first song on the album (anti American nonsense
with no argument)
Elliott Smith
Mahler Symphony No, 1 Funeral March
The Strokes
That one song by the Killers-I forget what it's called...
Merle Haggered


Could you name your top five records of all time?
Wow that one is tough. Ok,
Samhain (November Coming Fire)
TSOL (Change Today)
Skinny Puppy (Too Dark Park)
Bauhaus (The Sky's Gone Out)
The Doors (Morrison Hotel)


Have you spoken to any of the other band members from The Nerve Agents recently?
Zack and I have played phone tag a little lately. I'd like to start a project with him sooner or later.

What are your plans for the future? Musically and otherwise...
As far as punk goes, I'd like to start up where the Nerve Agents left off someday. Whether it be the Nerve Agents them selves getting back together or another group doing something similar.

That's it really - Thanks for your time! Any shout outs or famous last words that you want to share with the world of the internerd?
Ya, I'd like to thank John for doing this interview with me and being so patient. Thanks man.

No comments:

Post a Comment